Reduce the Risk of Car Theft
Last updated on August 1st, 2019
Car theft isn’t something that only happens to others. With 39,000 vehicles stolen in Québec every year, the numbers speak for themselves. Get some advice from Promutuel Insurance.
- Never leave your vehicle’s engine running, not even for a few seconds or when you’re at home. Vehicles are often stolen at gas stations or from shopping mall and airport parking lots.
- Keep valuables out of sight in the trunk: wallet, purse, camera, laptop, tablet, etc.
- Never leave your vehicle registration, insurance papers and driver’s licence in your car. If your car happens to be stopped by the police before you report it stolen, the thief could simply explain that you’ve loaned him your car and drive away scot free!
- Lock your wheels by turning them into the curb and using the parking brake.
- Choose a secure, well-lit parking lot.
- Always take your keys with you.
- Don’t put your name or address on your keychain.
- Don’t hide a spare key inside or on the outside of your vehicle.
- Close the windows and sunroof,and lock the doors and trunk of your vehicle, even just for a short time and when parked in your driveway.
- Fit an anti-theft device to your vehicle. As a bonus, if your vehicle has one of these devices, you could get a discount on your car insurance.
To learn more, see the guide to preventing auto theft published by the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Now you have all the information you need to know to protect your car against theft. Safe driving!
Do you think your family and friends might enjoy reading this article? Share it!