21 September 2018

ATV mishaps: Are you insured for that?

47914 957 int_00_1809_259430_vtt.jpg public://int_00_1809_259430_vtt.jpg image/jpeg 163904 1 1537560533 int_00_1809_259430_vtt.jpg image  Array Array Array Array   500 980

Did you know that one of the main causes of accidents is the loss of control of a vehicle? That’s exactly what’s happening in our ad! So what do you think: Is the driver insured for that? Let’s take a closer look.

ATV insurance: The basics

In Québec, third party liability is mandatory for all ATV owners. On the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) website, you’ll see that the minimum coverage required by law is $500,000.

Should you be legally at fault for an accident involving property damage or bodily injury, that amount would be used for compensation.

So…is that accident covered?

Let’s get back to our ad. It shows a driver who’s clearly lost control of his machine and, without meaning to, has gotten into an accident.

Here’s what you need to know:

If the driver has comprehensive coverage, it’s all good. His policy will cover damage to the ATV, equipment, and accessories, no matter the cause of the accident. Phew!

More good news: if the driver took collision or upset coverage, he’s also covered. The policy will cover damage to the ATV, equipment, and accessories in the case of a collision or if he flips the ATV.

If the driver selected coverage for perils other than collision or upset, he’s not covered. His policy only covers damage that isn’t caused by a collision or by flipping the ATV, such as theft, fire, running into an animal, or getting submerged in water.

Same thing goes for specified perils insurance, which only covers damage to the ATV caused by one of the risks specified in the policy, meaning it’s a more limited kind of insurance.

So as you can see, you have a number of options when insuring your ATV. Not sure which one you need? It depends on the type of driver you are.

What kind of driver are you?

Your insurance needs and options depend on what you do with your ATV.

The Worker.You use your ATV for farming or for various tasks at work. You couldn’t do your job without it!

The Amateur.ATVing is something you do for fun. You use your ATV to go fishing or hunting or just to get out on the trails.

The Die-Hard Rider. You love ATVing and consider it a sport. For you, any reason is a good reason to head out onto the trails. Whatever the season, you’ve got the vehicle.

If you’re a Worker:

Since you use your vehicle for work, certain specifics could apply. So be sure to let your insurer know.

If you’re an Amateur:

There’s an endorsement that covers rental, taxi, and public transportation costs if a covered accident deprives you of your ATV. It could come in mighty handy!

If you’re a Die-Hard Rider:

Is your ATV pretty new? You might want to consider getting a waiver of depreciation for two, three, or four years to protect your investment if you have to file a claim.

If you own a trailer or have extra equipment or accessories on your ATV, make sure they’re insured too!

Talk to your damage insurance representative and fill out an online ATV quote request today.

Happy trails!