06 May 2019

Pool mishaps: covered or not?

55474 957 int_00_1905_301520_blogue_entete_asshabitation_980x500.jpg public://int_00_1905_301520_blogue_entete_asshabitation_980x500.jpg image/jpeg 169196 1 1558980097 int_00_1905_301520_blogue_entete_asshabitation_980x500.jpg image  Array Array Array Array   500 980

In summer, all kinds of things can happen in and around the pool! As you can see in the video, a moment’s distraction with the mower and...splash! Well, maybe that’s going a bit too far, but if it happened to you, would you be covered? For both the mower and the pool? To find out, let’s look at the different types of home insurance coverage.

What coverage is included in basic home insurance?

Basic home insurance covers two things: your liability to other parties and your property.

Third party liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage that you may accidentally and unintentionally cause to another person, for example, in the following situations:

  • A person slips down your icy stairs
  • You spill red wine on a host’s brand-new carpet
  • Your child breaks the neighbour’s window while playing baseball
  • A fire at your house damages the house next door
  • Your washer breaks and water seeps into the downstairs tenant’s unit
  • Your dog bites a passer-by

Important: Check with your insurer about the exclusions and limitations that might apply in your situation, as they may vary by policy.

When it comes to your property, your basic insurance protects your home, its outbuildings, and their contents against most damage:

  • Theft
  • Fires
  • Vandalism
  • Windstorms
  • Lightning
  • Hail
  • Some water damage
  • And more

You can also choose a “comprehensive” policy, but even those policies contain certain exclusions. Coverage will vary, depending on the policy and the insurer. So before deciding, you should ask your representative questions to find a policy that meets your needs.

What additional coverage is available?

To make up for the exclusions and limitations of your basic policy, you can often get additional coverage for property like the following:

  • Whirlpool
  • Pool (!)
  • The contents of your garage, including your lawn mower (!)
  • Cash
  • Snowblower
  • Boats, canoes, kayaks
  • Furs
  • Jewellery and watches
  • Stamp, coin, card, and other collections
  • Artwork
  • Software
  • Your business equipment if you work from home or are self-employed
  • Motorized equipment (garden tractor, generator )
  • And more

Always ask your representative how much each item is insured for. Then determine if that amount is enough. If not, you can take out additional coverage.

Not only does it cover specific items, it can also protect you against things that might happen to you that are not included in your basic policy, such as:

  • Damage to your pool cover or structure caused by the weight of snow and ice
  • Fuel oil leaks or overflow
  • Earthquakes
  • Water main breakage
  • Water infiltration through the roof or foundation
  • Sewer backup

So, to answer your question, your lawnmower is covered in your basic policy. Your pool is not. But there’s no need to panic! Getting additional coverage is a cinch. Always talk to your representative to be sure you understand your coverage and exclusions. Then you can adjust your policy accordingly. Want to know more about our products? Request a home insurance quote!